Sunday, November 18, 2007

What's Up Doc?


Thursday, November 15, 2007

Current mood: thankful

What makes a good doctor…ask anyone and I'm sure each one will have a different answer. For me it's all about "bedside manner". Let's face it cancer can be a pretty scary thing and having the right doctor can make all the difference.

I have 3 doctors that I have been dealing with since my diagnosis back on March 8th of this year. My breast surgeon Dr. L, who is fabulous! Dr. N is my oncologist and if you watch the TV show Side Order of Life, you'll get it when I say, Dr. N is NO Misty Reines. And then there is Dr. S, he is my plastic surgeon and he has grown on me.

I met Dr. L after I found a lump in my left breast. She is my breast surgeon, so she was the one that did my biopsies and surgery and yes she was the one that told me that I had the BIG C. I remember that night like it was yesterday. It was 8:45 p.m. and I was watching American Idol and I was just about ready to see who was getting the boot when the phone rang. Even though my world was crashing all around me, Dr. L put me at ease. From day one when I met her and she did my biopsy, I knew I would love her. That first day in her office, I was so scared…..she walked in and I burst into tears, she quickly calmed me down and told me "we" would get through this together. Dr. L has fabulous "bedside manner". She shows compassion and truly makes you believe that even though things are scary…..it's going to be OK.

Dr. S is my plastic surgeon. In the beginning I kinda didn't like him. My first visit with him, he seemed a little cold. Looking back on that day…..I believe he was a little pre-occupied. He was wearing his scrubs and his nurse kept interrupting and he was getting pulled away for phone calls…..I think he had a sick patient in the hospital. When I met with him the second time things were totally different…..a complete 180. His "bedside manner" was totally different. He did show a side of compassion and caring. We even joked a little, which is sometimes my way of dealing with a stressful situation. I remember he said he wanted to take my picture for my file….as I stood there posing for the picture….I joked and said, "I better not find these pictures on the internet!" He laughed and said they were strictly for my file. He then asked if I had anymore questions and I said no. He said he would see me on the morning of my surgery and he would be drawing smiley faces all over me….Good I said, I'll need them because I'll be too busy crying. His joking tone quickly changed, and he told me that it was OK to cry. He said I could cry the day of my surgery, I could cry right now if I wanted or I could cry tomorrow. I knew right then and there that like Dr. L, Dr. S had it…… "bedside manner".

Now Dr. N is my oncologist. Like I said earlier she is NO Misty Reines. I still haven't figured her out. I do know that I don't care for her. I know what you're thinking…..get another oncologist. Before I get too much into Dr. N, I have to tell you some history. I was originally supposed to have my surgery back on June 27th. I was meeting with Dr. N on June 15th to just touch base with her. That day would turn out to be one of my worst days ever! Dr. N came in, asked me a few questions…..yes her tone with me was very cold. She then excused herself and left the room. When she returned she boldly stated that she had cancelled my surgery and that I would start my chemo on Monday, June 25th. Talk about a whirlwind. Here I was mentally preparing myself for losing my breasts to now having to prepare myself to get poisoned…..BIG difference! I sat there along with my Dad and Auntie Judy in shock. She told me I could get a second opinion if I wanted, but she was head of the department so everything would come back to her anyway….WOW!

Dr. N has always been cold. When I see her for office visits, she comes in and the first thing out of her mouth is I'm sorry, it's been a busy day……her excuse as to why I'd been sitting there for the past 45 minutes. She sits down and opens her laptop and off she goes typing away. She has never asked how I am doing. It's always….what are your side affects…..like the chemo is the patient, not me. She also talks to me like I'm her colleague, using BIG medical terms. OK….I did graduate college, but sorry I didn't go to medical school. I've learned to just ask my chemo nurse anything I didn't understand.

With my surgery coming up next week, I had to meet with Dr. S again. A refresher appointment shall we say….I met with him before, but with my surgery being cancelled and my chemo lasting 16 weeks….he just wanted to see me again. As the nurse called my name, I entered the hall with all the examining rooms. I followed her to my room and as I walked past Dr. S's office I hear this big……HEY Jill!... how are you?....how've been, you look great!......WOW! a big change from what I've been dealing with over the past 16 weeks. A doctor who cares……can that be?

My visit with Dr. S went well, like I said it was just a refresher appointment, but I took even more away from that visit….he gave me back my faith in doctors.....he showed me that some doctors really do care and show true compassion and have great "bedside manner"...... thanks Dr. S.

No comments: