Saturday, January 5, 2008

What's really underneath that pink ribbon...?





Saturday, January, 5, 2008

Current mood: discontent


Isn’t it true that we can dress up anything and make it look pretty? Wrap it up and put a nice bow on it or maybe a pink ribbon.

I think that is what is happening with breast cancer. I’ve been fighting this disease since March 8, 2007 and let me tell you there is nothing pretty about breast cancer.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for breast cancer awareness, but I think the pink is some how camouflaging the ugly truth. There are many different stages of breast cancer and YES! women are still dying from this disease! Sure over the years there have been great strides in breast cancer research and like any cancer early detection is key to survival.

I think many people just think breast cancer is finding a lump and having it removed. Sure, that is the best case scenario but not always the case. And that is what I’m talking about when I say the pink ribbon is camouflaging the truth.

It wasn’t the case for me and many women that I’ve met along my cancer crapness journey.

Breast cancer can be devastating for a woman. Many women, like myself need a mastectomy.

This can be very traumatic and I just feel like people don’t get it!

I had a bi-lateral mastectomy on November 21, 2007 and for me this was a BIG deal! I lost part of myself that day. To me it was like having a body part amputated. Sure it’s not an arm or leg or something everyone is going to see but it is still a part of my body. Sure I had reconstructive surgery, but that doesn’t lesson the fact that my body will NEVER be the same.

I guess all I’m asking is that people look past the pretty pink ribbon and realize that breast can be and still is a very ugly disease.

No comments: