Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Pinktober is FINALLY over!



Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Current mood: Emotionally Exhausted!


Well I survived another October and seeing PINK everywhere.

I am breast cancer survivor and I get the whole breast cancer awareness but everything does not need to be pink to get the message across.

I don't need pink measuring cups so every time I cook I am reminded of my cancer. OK who are we kidding I don't cook but that's not the point. I think we have gone way overboard with making everything pink.

Pink isn't pretty for me. Pink reminds me of a time in my life that I would rather forget. It brings me back to chemo and being sick and bald and losing a part of myself. That's not pretty!

I watched a movie last week on Lifetime called "Matters of Life and Dating". It came out last year but I was in the middle of my battle and wasn't ready to see movies about breast cancer. I started watching the movie and debated about changing the station but I'm glad I stuck with it. I swear the movie was written about me. It was scary. The movie is about a young woman who gets diagnosed with Stage I breast cancer and needs a mastectomy. She's single and it shows how she deals with dating after her surgery. It also shows the emotional roller coaster she rides. As I watched this movie, I cried and couldn't believe the similarities. Kudos to the writers of this movie. They really got it right.

I still can't believe next month is going to be the one year anniversary of my surgery. It's still hard to see myself in the mirror and I'm reminded every day of my scars when I put on my body lotion. The scars are fading but the emotions are still very raw.

I guess the point is that I don't need pink products to be reminded of breast cancer. I'm living with it every day.

No comments: